Monday, October 1, 2012

Welcome to the Truckers Post: For truckers. By a trucker

Picture of American Truck - Free Pictures - FreeFoto.com

Welcome Home


Ok I know you are tired after gripping the wheel for ten hours (well fourteen hours but I won’t tell) and you have somehow stumbled your way here to my blog.  Well welcome to my home.  My home is your home, so please make yourself comfortable, put your feet up, relax and kick back.  Oh yea in case I didn’t tell ya, WELCOME HOME!
Just a couple of quick rules before you come in.  First, you are welcome to post anything you like except for: racist comments and abusive language and no curing please.  None of these things will not be tolerated and I will delete any comments/posts/questions/answers that are deemed inappropriate.  Everything else is up to your discretion.  We can talk about whatever you like.  And you are always welcome to ask questions or post an answer to another member’s question.

What is the Truckers Post’s?


Well in a nutshell, the Truckers Post’s is a home away from home for truckers.  I too am a trucker (though currently recovering from an illness) so I know what it’s like to be on the road, living out of a truck.  You can be rest assured I feel your pain and share your joy.  Driving a truck can be a hard and thankless job.  But it can also be fun and rewarding.   Just like most other jobs I suppose.
Anyway, there is no set format here.  I will post blogs on anything and everything trucking related such as: fuel and maintenance issues, home time, truck stops, family issues, dealing with DM’s and load planners, saving money on the road, credit issues, insurance, State and Federal regulations, lobbying for your rights in Washington, HOS rules and violations, dealing with shippers and receivers and everything else under the sun.  Again these are just some of the topics I will blog about.  However, I’m going to need ideas and answers from you, the guys on the front lines.  So your participation will be appreciated.  See, I appreciate you already because I am you!  Just because I’m stuck here in the house recouping doesn’t mean I can’t relate. 
If you have just mowed down 700 grueling miles today all the while arguing with your DM because your 1400 miles into a 3000 mile run and she wants to repower your load so a guy can get home and your pissed about it, then write about it here.  Get it out.  I can guarantee you that you are not alone.  I’m online all day and will check this blog throughout the day and will do my best to respond to all questions, rants or raves.  That’s what this blog is all about.  Helping each other through communication.  A site for truckers written by a trucker.
As more people join the site will grow and so will our home.  Think of this blog as a starter home.  It’s fine for now.  But hopefully, if you are comfortable in our home, you will invite you friends to visit and they will tell their friends and before you know it we will have outgrown this home and will have to move to a bigger, better one.
So that’s about it for now.  You get the gist of what this blog is all about.  I hope you can see that I am here for you.  In me, you have a fellow truck driver who is here to listen to you, offer you advice and answer your questions to the best of my ability.
Go inside the truck stop and take a shower and have a nice meal.  Get some rest.  Don’t stay up on the computer or watching movies.  Remember, tomorrows another day.  If you had a cruddy day today, you get to start anew tomorrow. 
Please check back in tomorrow and spread the word!  I will certainly appreciate it.
Be kind, respectful and loving human beings and I will talk to you tomorrow.


Reminder


Each post will end with a reminder for you.  I might remind you to check your rigs oil, or make sure your logs are up to date, or to call you mom and dad, or to take a break, well you get the idea.
So this week’s reminder is: Home time for the holidays.  That’s right it’s that’s time again.  It seems like yesterday we were ringing in the New Year.  It seems to me the older I get, the faster the years go by.  Is it just me or is this you too?
Ok I’ll get back to being home time for the holidays.  If you have not done so now is the time to request you time off for the holidays.  Even if you are just coming off home time, you need to request which holiday you want off.  Your company should have already asked you to send a Qualcomm specifying which holiday you want off.  Think about it and talk it over with the family, but do it now.  The longer you wait the less chance you have of getting the holiday you want off.
I always asked for Christmas off myself.  But I have been offered bonus’s to work Christmas and that one’s a tough call.  I really needed the money my first Christmas away, so I managed to be home for XMAS eve and picked a load up at the yard XMAS evening and still got my bonus.  It’s a tough call I know and I hope you do not find yourself in this position during the holidays this year.
Well I believe, I believe, I believe that’s all folks….
Until the next post, have a GREAT and SAFE day driver’s……. Dana



No comments: